Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day on the South Boundary Trail

This afternoon after church, I met Lynn in Columbia Falls and we drove on to West Glacier for a short hike.  She hasn't seen as many Fairyslippers as I have at Lone Pine, so we were on the look-out for them.  The latter section of what we hiked today was through lovely woods, just perfect for Fairyslippers, and we counted 102!!  Most of them were just singles scattered in the woods or along the trail, but then we came to several little clumps and that upped our count.  She definitely got her "Fairyslipper fix" today!

I love the spots on this one!




I meant to start with our flower list, but I was so excited about the 102 that it came first!  Very different sightings than on Lubec Ridge:  Glacier Lillies that were done, Trillium, Oregon Grape, lots of Strawberry, yellow Violets, blue Violets, Arnica, Fern-leaf Parsley, Yellow Biscuitroot, Serviceberry, Gooseberry, Fairybell, False Solomon Seal, Woods Pussy Toes, Clematis, Blue-Eyed Mary, Wild Sarsaparilla, Huckleberry, Meadowrue, Mountain Lover and Paintbrush.  22!  I'm only going to post my favorite photos; we'll see more of these later this summer as well.  I'm posting these with my Mom in mind; I know she would have loved to have walked with us today!!!  Love you Mom!

Yellow Violets
Blue Violets and Strawberry
Blue Violets
Fern-leaf Parsley
Indian Paintbrush
More Paintbrush
Mountain Lover or Paxistima; very tiny flowers in the leaf joints.
False Solomon's Seal; the flowers have just barely bloomed.
Huckleberry blossom; the leaves look frost-nipped!
New growth on the Larch (or Tamarack) trees.
This is not an evergreen; the needles turn gold in the autumn and fall off.
We had a couple of mystery flowers that we are working on, but they are such lovely photos I'm going to post them.
This may be a very young Baneberry start.

This was on a flowering tree, but I have no idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment